In Chinese herbal medicine, animal substances that contain gelatin are used to strengthen joints and aid in the repair process following illness or trauma. They're also used in anti-aging formulas.
Modern research has found that collagen peptides can strengthen teeth and nails, reduce joint pain and degeneration, improve skin elasticity, encourage hair regrowth, and heal a number of digestive ailments.
This chocolate pudding recipe includes two types of gelatin: one that dissolves quickly in cold water, and another which must be cooked and then cooled to create a gel-like consistency (like the one in Jell-O). You can leave both of them out to make a vegan pudding, which is still healthy, nourishing and delicious. It just won't provide the same level of joint-healing power.
The base is a combination of two healthy fats--whole avocado and coconut milk. The avocado is rich in monounsaturated fat and fiber, while the coconut milk is a saturated fat. Both are fantastic for the skin. In fact, you could even rub some of this on your face. Cocoa powder and honey are both high in antioxidants, which are notorious for protecting the skin from damaging free radicals.
Yin-Nourishing Chocolate Pudding
1 medium avocado
1 can of coconut milk (full fat or light will both work)
2 tbsp of cocoa powder
2 tbsp of honey or sweetener of choice
4 tbsp of hydrolyzed collagen
1/2 cup coconut water, almond milk, or plain water
1 1/2 tsp of gelatin
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle the gelatin over the coconut water to bloom.
- Heat the mixture on medium until it is almost simmering, but don't let it come to a full boil. Continue whisking it to dissolve the gelatin.
- Once the liquid is hot and the gelatin is completely dissolved, turn off the stove and remove the pan from the heat.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Add the coconut water from the pan to the blender and blend once more.
- Pour the mixture into individual serving cups, or a glass tupperware container, and cover. Place them in the refrigerator and wait for them to set.